Tapped Out

Tapps plays on Mackinac Island every evening at 10pm; Reveille at 10am.  A siren blows at noon.  Not military normal I suspect but a nice punctuation to the day.
I rented a bicycle this morning; $5 an hour.  I was refunded $2 when I returned it because it took considerable less than an hour to encircle the Island's 8.2 miles.  It was very flat, very beautiful and more than 5 thousand feet lower in altitude than where I never ride a bicycle back in Albuquerque.
Tonight is our last night here.  The Island's history and culture have begun to grow on me.  I've even begun to resent the "dailies" - the name I've given to those crowds who come to spend the sunlight hours, crowd the streets, make their noise.  I am a resident now.  ...well, for one more night.
If I could, retirement might be like this - living in a different "home" for a short period, then moving on.  I get a little taste of the customs of the area.  They smoke cigarettes here more than back in NM, and with less shame.  Almost no vaping.  I often assume people are more thoughtful and polite than where I live most of the time.  But, I don't find that necessarily to be true.
Twice today I walked out of the room without my phone.  I forgot to put on my cross at all - the cross I wear every. single. day.  It wasn't a "statement".  I just forgot.  Still, I've had dreams about "worship", but maybe the punctuation to my days will change for this season.
I could have stayed a little longer.

Comments