Heading North

Tomorrow my Time takes a turn north.  The plan is national parks in Utah, Wyoming, Montana and Idaho, but I'm trying to keep foremost that the turn north is not so much a geographical move as soteriological.  This is, like most of life, about the journey not the destination.  Up to now, my Time has been about making a break with the rhythms and patterns of 34 years of pastoral ministry.  Yes, the shed is started.  I have to pause to remember the day of the week.  I have tested my body (ehh).
Now, it is time to test the soul.  I have to admit that much of the Time up until now has felt selfish. Yes, there has been rest.  Yes, there has been a needed break.  It is time now to put something back in my life, not just temporarily remove the work and the schedule.

I turn north ...I turn to God.


I know that that sentence sounds like I have some sort of insider knowledge as to how that happens. While, I have spent much of my life in consideration of the relationship with God, for me, there always seems to be more thought in that direction than practice.  I am no different than anyone else who is looking for meaning, and purpose, and ...God.  So, tomorrow I hug my sons, hug my wife, (actually, that will be more like holding on while Susan tries to push me into the car!), say "goodbye" to home and look for home again.

I turn north ...I turn to God.

Comments